Quick Facts: The Connor Sport Court International Final Four® Floor Tour®
5 years ago
Quick Facts: The Connor Sport Court International Final Four® Floor Tour® March 25, 2013- March 29, 2013
To see the 2013 Connor Final Four® floor assembled in quick-time, this video was produced and the floor was finished by our partners at Praters Athletic Flooring in Chattanooga, Tennessee (http://pratersathleticflooring.com/):
Dates and Places of the NCAA® Final Four®:
Men’s—Saturday April 6, 2013 and Monday April 8, 2013 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA.
Women’s—Sunday, April 7, 2013 and Tuesday April 9, 2013 at the New Orleans Arena in New Orleans.
The Women’s floor is 60’ X 120’ and totals 7,200 square feet. The Men’s floor is 70’ X 140’ and totals 9,800 square feet.
- Summer 2012, selection of northern maple made by timber cruisers.
- Connor purchases rough first grade maple lumber from Timber Products Company, Munising, Michigan.
- September 2012, rough cut maple arrives at Connor Sports Amasa, Michigan plant.
- Maple is cut to widths of 2 and ¼ inches. It is planed and defects are cut from the wood.
- Tongue and groove is put in place by a “side-matcher”.
- The court is made portable by assembling it into 4’ X 7’ panels.
- Patented Connor subflooring is put in place to provide the right balance of resilience and shock absorption to assure good performance and player safety.
- Portable sections are stacked under stringently controlled temperature and humidity.
- Once the panels are completed, they are stacked, banded and sent to the finisher in Praters where it is sanded, sealed, painted and finished. The floor is then stacked to be shipped to the facility. Praters is the official finishing partner of the Final Four®.
Final Four® Floor Tour Stops:
The men’s floor will travel to the Georgia Dome in Atlanta stopping for community events to celebrate the 2013 NCAA® March Madness. The tour stops include:
- UTC Chattanooga—Monday, March 25th at 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. located on UTC’s Campus
- Dalton State—Monday, March 25th at 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. located on Center Campus
- Mercer University—Tuesday, March 26th at 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. located by Mercer’s Athletic Complex
- CBA Sports—Wednesday, March 27th 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at CBA Sports Headquarters: 115 Medlock Bridge Road Norcross, GA 30071
- Georgia State—Thursday, March 28th at 12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. located on Gilmer Street near Hurt Park
- Arrival at Georgia Dome—Friday, March 29th at 8:00 a.m. located at the Georgia Dome
- In 2009 an independent environmental engineering firm audited and designated Connor Sports a “Zero Waste Company.”
- As a member of the Maple Flooring Manufacturers Association, Connor adheres to the strict grading and quality standards of that organization.
- Maple hardwood used in the courts is from a renewable resource, with the U.S. growing six times more hardwood than is harvested each year.
- Connor recycles 99% of its waste material and offers wood that is Forest Stewardship
- Council-certified. The FSC mark represents products from well-managed forests.
- Connor was the first MFMA member to be certified by the Rainforest Alliance, and is the only independently certified Zero Waste sports flooring manufacturer.
Read Release HERE