Champions of Sport: Installing the NCAA® Final Four™ Basketball Court
1 years ago
This Friday, March 25th, as Division I collegiate basketball teams faceoff in the Sweet Sixteen™, Connor Sports technicians will be installing the Official Court of the NCAA® Final Four™.
Connor Sports has worked with the NCAA for over ten years. Each year, Connor Sports manufactures, finishes and installs a custom designed court for the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championship. Each championship basketball court has a unique design but one thing always stays the same – the installation process of the basketball court!
In preparation for Friday’s installation Connor Sports has created a step by step guide to installing a portable basketball court so fans know how the main stage of the NCAA Basketball Championship comes together.
Overview of the Official Court of the NCAA Final Four Installation
- Installation crews bring out 15 pallets with 15-17 panels on each pallet
- Each pallet of panels will build one row of the basketball court
- The first row of the court is built along a chalk line to ensure the panels are being installed in a straight line, keeping the floor square
- The first panel is placed in the center of the stage and the court is built from the center out
- Each panel has a steel tongue on two sides, and a plastic groove on the others.
- The corners of two panels are placed together at a 45-degree angle
- A pin connects the panels and are slid together, like closing a door
- All panels are put together in the same fashion until the court is finished
All said and done a portable basketball court takes roughly 2-4 hours to install. Once the installation is complete the court can be played on immediately!